I won 2nd Place at the TRCOA Singer/Songwriter Contest and Here's What All Went Down....
Glory Be! (As my old family friend Charlsie would say)
One week ago tonight, I played a showcase in Austin, Texas for The Recording Conservatory of Austin’s Singer/Songwriter contest. It was an amazing opportunity, but I have to be honest- I am SOOOO glad it is OVAH!!! Mercy! It was my first live show in almost 4 years!!!! So, I was naturally very composed and confident. Bahahahah. I was a nervous, sweaty mess. What else would you expect?
I went into the showcase in 4th place, with the least number of votes, but, I also had just enough votes to get to play live for some pretty legit judges and compete for final places and prizes. Since I had the lowest numbers, I got to play first. I was the the “opener”, if you will, and I was glad about it. I figured there would be less of a crowd, but as it turned out, I had one of the biggest collective crowds of the night!
- I got a chance to play ALL of my new original material- the songs from my new EP, and thereby, gave Austin, America a little Sassafras and Soul! ;)
- I wasn’t sure how they would take it, but they seemed to enjoy it. In fact at one point, when I mentioned how nervous and shaky I was between songs, a twangy male voice from the audience yelled "You’re doin just fine baby! Doin just FINE!" Thank you Jesus for that encouragement, it made me laugh and I needed it! Heck, Ryan needed it!
- My oh-so-gracious husband, who is normally a super corporate VP, agreed to play guitar for me. I knew he was a little nervous, but was beside myself with laughter when I looked over and saw him (who hasn’t had a drink in FOREVER) taking a shot of whiskey right before we went on! Poor kid, I drug him into this, but that was HILARIOUS.
- I promptly announced once I took the stage that I was extremely nervous, that this was my first show in a very long time, and that I planned on ignoring them most of the time! Instead, I was going to pretend Ryan and I were just running through songs at home on our couch, but I hoped they enjoyed them. We all laughed and we started into Southern Soul….
- SETLIST: Southern Soul, Crazy Train, Run,Run,Baby,Baby, I’m Grown, and Wilderness.
- After the set, I had a chance to meet privately with the 3 grammy nominated judges for some feedback on my songs and performance who included:
- CJ Eiriksson - a Grammy nominated Music Producer, Engineer and Mixer. His extensive discography includes albums by U2, Matchbox Twenty, Jack’s Mannequin, The Rocket Summer, Phish, LIVE, Incubus, Hoobastank, and many more.
Matt Noveskey - bassist for established alternative rock act Blue October, also a record producer involved in artist development and management. Matt has helped guide the early careers of songwriters and musicians that have gone on to get signed to both major and indie record labels.
Dwight Baker - a Grammy nominated Music Producer,Engineer,Mixer and studio owner. Dwight as a writer for Sony/ATV wrote cuts for Kelly Clarkson, David Archuleta, American Bang, Alpha Rev, and many more. As a producer and engineer he has worked with artists like Brandi Carlile, Blue October, and Alpha Rev.
- They were extremely encouraging about the showcase, all agreed that the general direction of “Country” would be a good place for me to land (confirmation), and that “my pitch was ridiculous”. As a vocalist, that’s one of the highest compliments you can get. :)
- I ENDED UP WINNING 2ND PLACE! :) Yaaaay! The extremely talented Alyse Black took first, and it was an honor to get to meet her. We are hoping to do a show together in ATX soon.
FINALLY- I was able to start some pretty cool conversations with one of the judges, and Lord willing, will be getting to work with him in some capacity this next year.
It was a great experience and I would not have gotten a chance to do it if not for YOU ALL!!!! From the bottom of my heart, thank you to every single person who voted, shared, told others to vote, and was loving and supportive!!!! THANK YOU!!! I have a video update I will add in just a minute, but, again from the bottom of my heart- thank you!
This is a brand new season for me. A time when I have to put on big girl pants and face my fears. Ya’lls support and encouragement has meant the world to me! So, lookout world, this sassy southern lady is about to get her start!!!! :)